RealPlayer 10 in FC6: Sound, But No Picture

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jan 13 17:34:04 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13 January 2007 17:23, Temlakos wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Just installed RealPlayer 10. No dependencies detected. Setup Assistant
> ran through. But when I go to play a video, the mplayer-plugin wants to
> load, and of course it chokes. But more than that:
>
> When I download a "test video" from Real.com, I get sound, but no picture.
>
> When I go to play certain videos (specifically at foxnews.com), again I
> get sound, but no picture.
>
> On a hunch, I removed totem--completely. It was never doing anything for
> me anyway. (That's right--I never did get totem to play /any/ of my
> DVD's, and I have gnome-cd to play audio cd's.)
>
> That removed a lot of useless plugins. But it still didn't solve the
> problem of my not being able to play RealAudio or RealVideo content. Again:
>
> Download response: Sound, but no picture. Should have picture and sound.
>
> Site-visit response: Either sound, but no picture, or else mplayer tries
> to load, and then stops. (Mplayer will play other plug-in videos, so
> long as they're not too big. I tested that at apple.com's movie trailer
> site.)
>
> What hidden dependency have I missed?
>
> Temlakos

It may be worth checking the Mplayerplugins. There are loads of them,
including one ending in .rm, which is the realmedia one, and is an earlier
version of realplayer.

I'm still using FC2, and Mplayerplugins arn't automatically set up in Firefox.
I have to link to the ones I want to use. I have realplayer10GOLD.bin
installed, and can see video output, but because I'm on dialup it's
continually buffering because of lack of bandwidth.

I'd suggest removing Mplayerplugins realmedia plugin, then reopen Firefox,
type "about:plugins" (without the double quotes), and see which plugins are
showing. You should see just one for realplayer10GOLD. Then try the site
again.

Nigel.