Sendmail Vacation and forward files

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jan 13 21:10:46 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson schrieb:

>On Saturday 13 January 2007 18:34, Johan Boshoff wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am trying to set up a vacation notice for some users on my Fedora 4
>>system using sendmail.  I have never done this yet and I am not getting it
>>right.  Can anyone please point me in a direction?  Any documetns etc will
>>be welcome.
>>
>>I was wondering how to automatically create a .forward file and a .vacation
>>file.
>>

>Hi, Johan.  I set a vacation reply in procmail based on an example I found on
>the Internet somewhere.  This is what it said:
>
># :0 h c
># * !^FROM_DAEMON
># * !^X-Loop: me at mydomain.org
># | (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \
>#     -A"X-Loop: me at mydomain.org" ; \
>#    echo "This is the autoresponder at myCompanyName \
>#    Your message will be received on the 3rd May, on our return from holiday
>\
>#    Thank you for your patience.") | $SENDMAIL -t
>
>HTH
>
>Anne

Independent from this implementation it has to be said as a warning that
running autoresponders you will hit innocent third mail addresses which
are faked by spammers.

Above procmail implementation isn't useful as it will reply each time a
sender writes a mail. The vacation application would store sender
addresses and repeats the automatic reply only once in 30 days.

Johan can get the vacation as a src.rpm from my site:
http://www.uni-x.org/vacation-1.2.6.1-3.ad.src.rpm

Usage is explained in the manpage.

Besides the vacation topic: Johan, update your FC4 as it is EOL and even
fedoralegacy stopped to security support that release. It is not safe to
run a public reachable mailserver on it.

Alexander