cifs password length?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 13 21:12:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 14:52 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 13 January 2007 12:27, Craig White wrote:
> >On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 06:30 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> I'm trying to setup a samba share on my lappy, and have run into a
> >> large problem, large because my root password is 19 chars long.
> >>
> >> An attempt to bring up the share gets this error printed on the cli:
> >>
> >> password too long
> >>
> >> As I can't seem to grep for it, in what file can the allowable
> >> samba|cifs password length be set?
> >
> >----
> >samba conforms to windows standards for obvious reasons - there is no
> >place where this can be changed without re-compiling samba. root
> >password like all other samba passwords is set with smbpasswd command
> >and has nothing to do with Linux/UNIX passwords.
> >
> >Not that this admonition is going to do much good but root is generally
> >not a samba user but is typically mapped if needed in smbusers
> >
> >Craig
>
> It does exist in that file & I don't recall ever editing it.
----
If you are speaking of password entries in /etc/samba/smbpasswd, those
are the already hashed password using standard Windows NT hash
algorithm.

If you want to set a password for say, user gene...

smbpasswd gene
(it prompts you to enter a password)

this is then 'hashed' and written to /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Craig