Resizing of a LVM partition

Ambrogio fn050202 at flashnet.it
Sun Jan 14 09:52:18 UTC 2007

Il giorno gio, 11/01/2007 alle 21.04 +0100, Markus Lindholm ha scritto:
> A question: if I had used pvcreate on the whole disk in the first
> place could I now have used pvresize to take the free space into use
> without creating a new partition?
No,
because using pvcreate on the wole disk doesn't leave free space on
disk.
The only way in which pvresize is usefull is when you do, for example, a
dd of the entire disk to a bigger one.
So after the copy, you can use the pvresize to obtain the remaining
space available on the VG.
The same about the partitions.
If you create a PV on a partition and after that you extend the
partition, so you can use pvresize.

Bye
 Ambrogio