How to configure sendmail to send messages

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jan 14 17:33:09 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares schrieb:

>Dear list,
>
>   I have a problem sending messages from command line
>in two of my machines.  I believe I have sendmail
>installed but do not know how to test if it is there?

/usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d0 < /dev/null

If it is Sendmail, then this command will print out some basic information.

ls -al /usr/lib/sendmail /etc/alternatives/mta

>I want to update a machine on linux counter but mail
>does now work, and I get a dead.letter on my home
>directory.  I have tried doing the following, but to
>no avail
>
>[olivares at localhost Documents]$ /bin/mail -s "test
>mail" olivares14031 at yahoo.com
>
>Test message please disregard.
>
>.
>Cc:
>[olivares at localhost Documents]$
>/home/olivares/dead.letter... Saved message in
>/home/olivares/dead.letter

Looks like Sendmail being misconfigured. The default would either
succeed in sending mail out or in saving a bounce for postmaster / root.

>Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Check your /var/log/maillog.

>Thanks,
>
>Antonio

Alexander