cifs password length?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 14 18:44:20 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 20:48 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 13 January 2007 16:12, Craig White wrote:
> [...]
> >----
> >If you are speaking of password entries in /etc/samba/smbpasswd, those
> >are the already hashed password using standard Windows NT hash
> >algorithm.
> >
> >If you want to set a password for say, user gene...
> >
> >smbpasswd gene
> >(it prompts you to enter a password)
> >
> >this is then 'hashed' and written to /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> >
> >Craig
>
> Thanks Craig.
>
> I added gene to smbusers, which looked ok, and I hoped that would stop
> smbpasswd from complaining about a non-existent user, but it didn't.
>
> And it still won't set a passwd hash into the smbpasswd file which is
> currently 0600 and owned by root, and zero bytes long.  And I was doing
> that as root of course...
----
a samba user - say 'gene' must also be a Linux user too.

there are many different password db systems that can be used for samba
but /etc/samba/smbpasswd is the default if not specified otherwise. You
may wish to check what you have set in smb.conf

# testparm -sv |grep passdb

by default, perms on smb.conf are 644
# ls -l /etc/samba/smb.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         4210 Feb  1
2005 /etc/samba/smb.conf

Official Samba documentation is here...

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

Craig