I think I broke yum

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jan 15 22:35:14 UTC 2007

 > Subject: Re: I think I broke yum
>
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 15:20 -0600, Michael Yep wrote:
> > After starting yum it was doing a 300+ pkg update, and it never
> > finished.  Now I cannot run yum, and rpm seems to be broke too.
> > In addition I cannot issue a Ctrl-C command, I must hit
> Ctrl-Z and do a
> > kill -9 on the yum process.  How do I find out what yum is
> doing and how
> > to get it back to normal?
> >
> > This is what yum says now:

> > [1]+  Stopped                 ./u
> > [root at localhost ]# ps aux |grep yum
>
> Try:
>
> 	su -
> 	rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*  (that's two underscores)
> 	rpm --rebuilddb

On three different FC6 machines I had the same thing happen.  I
used the commands:

su -
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
db_verify /var/lib/rpm/Packages
rpm --rebuilddb
yum clean all

In all three cases updates went back to normal.  Basically the same
thing Rick suggested with the db_verify and the yum clean added in.
They may not be necessary, but did work for me.

After that yum update worked.

Bob Styma