How NSA access was built into Windows

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jan 16 06:28:51 UTC 2007

H.S. wrote:
> Tim wrote:
[...]
>>It's always struck me that there's a fundamental problem with
>>program dependencies in Linux.  In that things that *could* provide
>>more features to something shouldn't be a "dependency".
>>

> The situation is much better in Debian. It has apt-get and aptitude
> package managers. Aptitude solves this problem to a great extent.
>
> Yum has to mature a *lot* to reach the level of the above two
> package managers. Compared to them, yum is in its infancy.

While I'd agree that there are areas where apt-get is ahead of yum,
I'm not sure how differently it would or could handle a build time
dependency.  If I compile package bar against libfoo.so.0, any package
manager worth it's moniker had better ensure that whatever package
provides libfoo.so.0 gets installed whenever I install bar.

Most of this comes down to how the software is built, not how the
package manager works AFAIK.  I'm not entirely sure how easy (or how
desirable) it is to have software dynamically open the libraries it
wants to use.  There was some discussion of this on either the
fedora-extras or fedora-maintainers list not long ago, but much of the
low-level details are over my head.

Going to hell when I die would just be redundant.