Thinkpad Dock 2631 and Fedora

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 16 15:21:48 UTC 2007

  > Hi -
> >
> > I have a IBM Thinkpad 2631 dock that should be arriving on Wedensday.
> >
> > Question 1 - does the PCI slot work with Fedora? I would want to put a
> > USB 2.0 card in it. If it does work, does it interfere with
> > docking/undocking of the thinkpad w/o shutting down?
I have a laptop that has a wireless pci express card with an unstable
driver, so i have decided to buy a intel based wireless pci express card
(type 3B) and installed it. I knew that it was a ipw2200 driver and no
surprises. It just worked upon the replacement of the card. So, to
answer your question, yes Fedora supports PCI but I am not sure about
docking. Please keep in mind that whenever Fedora boots it will check
for hardware updates and i believe that is where your docking/undocking
comes into play.

> > Question 2 - Do the Cardbus slots work? I would want to use a USB 2.0
> > card in it (I have one that works in Linux) if the PCI slot doesn't
> > work. If the PCI slots are functional under Linux than Q2 doesn't matter
> > to me.
> >
> > Question 3 - UltraBay 2000 - I've seen reports that it works, but can
> > not be hot swapped. I would want to put a HD in it. Is there maybe some
> > magic I can use with hal (or whatever) so that the hd in the UltraBay
> > 2000 is seen as a removable drive? It would be nice if I didn't have to
> > power off every time I undocked, and un-docking simply notified the OS
> > that the drive had been removed (like what happens whe a USB hard drive
> > is removed).
> >
> > It isn't that big of an issue - the hard drive is only going to be used
> > for backing up /home in the event my laptop is stolen. But if I can just
> > leave it all the way inserted, and not have to power off to dock/undock
> > it would be sweet.
> >
> > I'm currently running FC5 but will be installing FC6 shortly.

Go to  http://forum.thinkpads.com/ and search for information on your
unit. There is LOTS of user-supplied info there, including how to
upgrade your system,

Geoff