vmware workstation is beating up my disk!

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 21:45:31 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Ambrogio <fn050202 at flashnet.it> wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 15/01/2007 alle 12.53 -0800, Lonni J Friedman ha scritto:
> > Anyone else running VMWare workstation in FC6 (x86)?  I've noticed
> > that whenever vmware is running (WinXP), the disk is getting polled
> > every other second non-stop.  it sounds like little men are marching
> > around its so loud & annoying.  Its not a memory/swap thing as I've
> > got 3GB of RAM, and vmware has access to a large chunk of it.
> Try also to monitor on Linux what appens.
> With top for examples, look at the swap area to see if it's used.
>
> With 3 GB of RAM and 2 assigned to vmware, maybe linux also swap.

No, there's no swapping going on, I've already checked that.  Plus
swap usage in linux shouldn't normally result in a regular pattern of
disk access.

> Note also that if you have swap on Windows, the Windows kernel swap even
> if they don't need to do it :-)

Windows has a swap file.  I'm not sure what that would suggest with
respect to this problem thoiugh.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org