access files at a connected server

Yuandan Zhang yuandan.zhang at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 01:19:19 UTC 2007

On 17/01/07, Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:

> Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> > After connected, Files on this server can be broswered, copy, paste,
> delete
> > etc using File Manager. My question is how to access these  files alike
> the
> > local files at commend line, eg cat /home/user/temp.txt
>
> This is probably a great use for FUSE-mounting. (Though I've no experience
> with
> it, I'm hoping that this is at least a shove in the right direction; and
> someone with greater knowledge of it than I can explain it in detail.)

In fact,  i tried export this fs at the server and mount that at the client.

at the server, this fs was exported in one of the three ways (one line in
/etc/exports):

/data2/PROJECTS  client1 (rw, no_root_squash)
/data2/PROJECTS  client1 (rw,all_squash)
 or
/data2/PROJECTS  client1 (rw,root_squash)

nfs service is restarted

at the client side, this fs was mounted with a line at /etc/fstab:

server:/data1 /mnt/server/data1    nfs     noauto,users        0 0

it can be mounted.

However, the problem is that the mounted fs always inhertied the uid and gid
of the fs at the server side. Although the user name is the same on both the
server and the client, the uid and gid  on two sides are different. as a
result, the user at the client can't  gain rw access of the mounted fs.

thanks for any advice