Yum updates Annoyances

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 17 18:12:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 12:52 -0500, McBroom, Robert C wrote:
> Running a FC6 cluster that cannot be connected to the internet.  Gnome
> keeps sending the message:
> Introspect error: The name edu.duke.linux.yum was not provided by any
> .service files
> Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> package is installed and that the service is running.
>
> The last two lines repeat and repeat.
> How do I tell Gnome to desist forever and ever.

Stop running puplet.  Go to

	System->Preferences->More Preferences->Session

Click on the "Startup Programs" tab, select "/usr/bin/puplet" and
disable it.  You can also click on the "Current Session" tab and delete
puplet from your current session.  Or you can "rpm -e pirut" to delete
all of the GUI-based software maintenance stuff.  Your choice.

-              Where there's a will, I want to be in it.             -