OT: Transcode video for playback on PS3

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Wed Jan 17 22:03:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 13:36 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:
> I have Yellow Dog on my PS3, but haven't done much but benchmark testing
> so far.  I am looking at pungi + kernel 2.6.20 release and rolling it up
> with FC6 before I get too deep into Linux on it.

Thanks for the feedback.  I was hoping for some ffmpeg tips to get
videos working on the PS3.  Know any? :)

> BTW:
>
> Benchmarks for general purpose CPU based applications are outstanding.
> Mine is a model 60, and the disk drive is slow, which skews compile time
> tests a bit.  But overall it compares on benchmarks quite favorably with
> a AMD64 X2 4200+ system.  With a faster disk drive, it will beat it handily.
>
> The kernel sees two CPUs and 6 'cores' in Linux.  Using dual CPUs is
> brainless, but I have no idea how to use the 'cores'.

When I eventually get around to installing a Linux distro on my PS3, I'm
probably just going to use it to browse the web, check email, and stream
music/movies from the rest of the network.

> The main drawback for the foreseeable future is video performance in
> Linux on the PS3.  Only a generic frame buffer is available, and my 24"
> Dell LCD monitor (1920x1200) looks 'fuzzy' at 1080i in Yellow Dog.

Yeah, I've read about that.  Everyone is hoping that 3D support within
Linux is made available.  At the moment, Sony is blocking access to the
nvidia GPU.

> The new 'official' PS3 component cables are out, and I will get one to
> see if it will do 1080p on my monitor.  I am currently using a PS2
> component cable and my monitor goes blank at 1080p with that one.  1080i
> looks ok in games.

If you plan on using the HDMI connection, _do not_ buy a HDMI cable from
Best Buy, Future Shop (if you're in Canada), or just about any other
brick and mortar store.  The prices they are charging are highway
robbery - my jaw hit the floor when I saw what Best Buy is charging.

Instead, buy your HDMI cables from monoprice.com.  Their prices are what
I was expecting.  I got my 15' HDMI cable for about $40 CAD (taxes,
shipping, conversion incl).

Regards,

Ranbir
--