FC6: Network transparency/Application awareness mismatches

Ken Tanzer ktanzer at desc.org
Wed Jan 17 23:50:54 UTC 2007

When using either fish: or sftp: protocols to browse remote directories
(via konqueror), many files, in particular MS-Word files and graphics
will not open properly.

We did a little digging, and it looks like if, for example, you try to
open an OpenOffice file via sftp, then konqueror is passing on the URL
directly to OO, as if it should understand it, as in :

/usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice -writer
sftp://user@host/path/filename.doc

If OO is supposed to understand this protocol, it's not working right.
I don't think it is, though.  I think konqueror is supposed to know that
OO doesn't understand, and instead download the file to a temp
directory, and call OO to open if from there.

That is the behavior I'm used to, and also the behavior I get if instead
of "open" or "open with word processor" I specify "open with" /
"/usr/bin/oowriter"

The same behavior seems to apply for Gimp as well.

Does anyone know how KDE is configured to specify that apps can handle
sftp or fish protocols, and how we can fix this problem?  Also, I can
file a bug on this, but figured I'd ask first, especially in case I'm
missing something obvious! :)

Thanks.

Ken