ps command: too long usernames show up as numbers?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 10:33:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

One of the users on my system does not show up with
her username in the list of the 'ps' command, but
her userid number instead. The name is 9 characters.

Further investigation made me realized that the
user 'haldaemon' is also merely listed as '68'.

So: is my conclusion correct that usernames above
a certain length (longer than 8 chars?) are shown
only with the userid number in the 'ps' list?

I find this rather surprising....

Rob.