Disable in X the restart/shutdown by user. How?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 11:23:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

This is getting really on my nerves.

I'm running FC6.
I easily could disable the restart/shutdown buttons
at the X login screen. Somehow there is a utility
that let me do that by configuring the layout of
the X login display.

However, upon X logout, the user gets a 'confirm'
window to really logout, which is good, but
unfortunately there is also the two buttons to
restart and shutdown the whole system.
I would like to have the latter two disabled.

I've tried several things to no avail:
1) Changes in /etc/security/console.apps/
2) Changes in /etc/pam.d/

Searching the web for solutions, gave me several
solutions that did not work; neither did they work
for those who asked the questions...

So why is this so magically difficult?
Are reboot and shutdown buttons these days hard
coded into the system, like in MS-Windows ;( ?

I hope someone can shine some light on this issue.

Thank you!
Rob.