Installing VMware server

John Bowden john.bowden43 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 16:09:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 15:43 +0000, John Bowden wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 09:09 -0600, Kevin Martin wrote:
> > Do you have rpm kernel-devel installed?  /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2849.fc6-i686/include/linux/config.h, on my machine, is a link
> > to/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2849.fc6-i686/include/linux/autoconf.h, which is owned by kernel-devel.  I assume that, somewhere in the
> > install of the kernel-devel, that link is created.
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> Yes I have installed kernel-devel for my kernel number 2869. I have also
> found the any-any patch and in the process of running it. Fingers
> crossed ;-)
>
> --
> Registered Linux user number 414240
> Guy Fawkes the only person to enter the Parliament with honest
> intentions and he was going to blow them up

That "any-any patch seems to have done the trick! See the output below:-
Starting VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
   Virtual ethernet                                        [  OK  ]
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background)        [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background)        [  OK  ]
   NAT service on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]

The configuration of VMware Server 1.0.1 build-29996 for Linux for this
running
kernel completed successfully.

Now how do I use it ;-) Any links on manuals and websites on setting up
a windoz virtual machine for a idiot newbie gratefully accepted.And a
BIG thanks to all who helped in getting it installed and running. I
certainly wouldn't have been able to do it without your help.