64 bit file access and fedora core

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 19 00:39:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 16:28 -0800, pw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing (fixing) some software and wish to know if
> fedora core handles _LARGE_FILE_SOURCE 64 bit file access
> properly on 32 bit systems.
>
> What version of glibc is used for the system?
> What kernel version is FC6?
>
> What 64 bit file calls are actually available in the libaries?
> ie:
> fseeko
> ftello
> fseek64
> ftell64
> fgetpos
> fsetpos
>
> Do these actually work with files over 16 Gig?
> (Some systems they don't regardless of the file system capabilities)
>
> I have some test code if anyone at redhat wishes to test this out.

Assuming the program is built with that definition set, yes 64-bit
offsets are used on a 32-bit machine.  I've rebuilt a number of apps
(apache, vsftpd, etc.) so they don't choke on huge log files.

Unfortunately, a number of utilities are still built "wrongly" (2G
file size maximum and the use of signed integers for offsets instead
of "off_t"), so be warned.

-     Warning:  You are logged into reality as the root user...      -