Beagle

Ken Nordquist ken at geekystuff.net
Fri Jan 19 15:03:56 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

>> With the obvious costs associated with running it, and no visible
>> benefit to this user, hell it didn't even have a man page, can you
>> (Rahul=TPTB) present a valid argument that I should reinstall it?  I
>> don't like secret software, I don't trust secret software, and if I
>> have any control over it, I'm not running any secret software.
>>
>> So justify it, give us manpages, or don't make it part of a default
>> install.
My $.02...

First of all, I LOVE Beagle.  I love the fact that it indexes my home
directory (and other directories I have permission to scan) so I can
find files by what they are named as well as what is in them!  It took
me about two hours to get Beagle up and running.  The only reason it
took that long is that it is a resource hog on initial scan and that
concerned me.

When I try to run 'beagle-search' as root, I get this warning...
"Beagle cannot be run as root.  For security reasons, Beagle cannot be
run as root.  You should restart as a regular user."  Pretty easy.

As far as man pages go...  'beagle' is not a command, which is why there
is no man page.  I do not have a man page for 'beagle-search', but that
is for the GUI...  Using the GUI is self-explanatory.  I DO have man
pages for:
    beagled
    beagle-status
    beagle-shutdown