How to use a treo 650/680 as a modem?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Jan 19 21:38:27 UTC 2007

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> Can anyone help me figure out how to use my treo 680 as a modem?
>
> I'm running FC5/KDE
>
> I tried the instructions here:
> http://fugutabetai.com/treo600_modem.html
>

> I setup a new modem device in the network device config with the following
> connection name: cingular
> modem device : /dev/ttyUSB1
> baud rate: 460800
> flow control: software
>
> phone no to call: #777
> username: web
> passwd: web
>

> then I put the treo into tethered mode by dialing #*83843733
> next I activated the above modem connection and I get this:
>
> Failed to activate cingular with error 8
>

> Thanks in advance

Can't mix Sprint and Cingular commands. :)

A Cingular /etc/wvdial.conf looks like:

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
SetVolume = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM0
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
Stupid Mode = 1
New PPPD = yes

[Dialer cingular]
Username = isp at cingulargprs.com
Password = CINGULAR1
Phone = *99***1#
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT&FE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular"
Inherits = Modem0

Sprint looks like:

[Dialer sprint]
Username = moo
Password = foo
Phone = #777
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Inherits = Modem0

Quite a bit different!

After putting the phone in tethered mode, try:
# wvdial cingular

and watch the output.  If it works, then use system-config-network to
create/edit /etc/sysconf-network-scripts/ifcfg-cingular (or edit it by
hand).

You may also need to add this line to ifcfg-cingular

PAPNAME=isp at cingulargprs.com

Here is a complete listing for one we use here:

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Modem
DEVICE=ppp0
BOOTPROTO=dialup
AC=off
BSDCOMP=off
VJCCOMP=off
CCP=off
PC=off
VJ=off
LINESPEED=460800
MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
PROVIDER=cingular
PAPNAME=isp at cingulargprs.com
DEFROUTE=yes
PERSIST=yes
WVDIALSECT=cingular
MODEMNAME=Modem0
DEMAND=no
IPV6INIT=no
IDLETIMEOUT=600
DEBUG=yes

The new UTMS servers that Cingular are putting out break DHCP for all
but Microsoft based systems.  So we turn off PEERDNS and hard code
/etc/resolv.conf to:

nameserver 66.102.163.231
nameserver 66.209.10.201

These are the Cingular primary DNS servers.

Good luck!