DPMS for runlevel=3?

Rick Sewill rsewill at cableone.net
Sat Jan 20 18:28:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 12:34 -0500, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Tim:
> >> Oops! I neglected to mention that I use ctrl-alt-functionkey to switch
> >> (then c-a-F7 to switch back).
> >
> > Which isn't stopping X, just ignoring it for the while.  X is still
> > running, even though you don't see it.
>
> Then perhaps I'm confusing something here. In rl=5, top lists 'Xorg' -
> which I took to be X windows. It was consistently at .3 - .7% of cpu
> usage. In rl=3, it wasn't listed in top. So, am I confused?
>
> I'm just looking to have every cpu cycle availible for the cruncher
> client while I'm not using the machine.

please see: man init

Some of the differences between run level 3 and run level 5 would be
what is started/stopped in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and what
is started in /etc/inittab.

There could be other differences if any scripts executed by the init
task check the RUNLEVEL variable.

I would suggest doing
ls /etc/rc.d/rc3.d > /root/rc3.d.log
ls /etc/rc5.d/rc5.d > /root/rc5.d.log
diff /root/rc3.d.log /root/rc5.d.log
to see what scripts are run in one level which are not in the other.
If something is in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d that you want in rc3.d, either
manually create a symbolic link in /etc/rc3.d similar to what is found
in /etc/rc5.d, or better and hopefully, if the script is recognized by
chkkconfig, use chkconfig to have chkconfig create/remove the symbolic
link.  Please see: man chkconfig

I would suggest looking at /etc/inittab to see what is different
between run level 3 and run level 5.

Please see: man inittab

I would not suggest editing /etc/inittab, commenting out the
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
It would lead to confusion later should you ever wish to automatically
start X, because, like me, you will forget you made this change.  ;)

Long ago, I booted up in run level 3, logged into a command line, and
used the command, startx, to start X.  I haven't done that since I moved
to FC5, and now FC6.  I assume that would still work.
Please see: man startx

Rick Sewill            tel:+1-218-287-1075 mailto:rsewill at cableone.net
1028 7th St. N.                               mailto:rsewill at gmail.com
Moorhead, MN 56560-1568      ymsgr:rsewill   sip:628497 at fwd.pulver.com