Getting Fox News to work with Firefox

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 21 15:44:55 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 21:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 20 January 2007 13:44, Arch Willingham wrote:
> >I don't remember which post it was but I saw one a while ago about
> > someone else not being able to get the video to work with videos on Fox
> > News.
> >
> >I use FC6 and I had the same problem and found the solution at a place
> > called greasemonkey.
> >
> >To get Fox News video to work:
> >
> >Install the firefox add-on greasemonkey:
> >http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
> >
> >and then install the FoxNews Friendly Video script from the greasemonkey
> > site: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1371, and it now works for
> > me.
> >
> >You can see the details toward the bottom of the following threads:
> > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...hlight=foxnews
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233985&page=2
>
> This worked great, many thanks.
>
> Now, where do I find the scripts that will stop a cnn video from an
> endless loading loop in mplayer without ever playing it?

Try this, or as someone else suggested get the mplayer from freshrpms.
But be carefull you can't mix mplayer components from the two repos.

If you uncomment and set noembed=1 in /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf
CNN videos will play in a separate window. I prefer this way
actually.

I got the mplayerplug-in from the Livna repository. If you
installed it from some other repo or from source, your
mplayerplug-in.conf may be in a different location.

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate. -- Thomas Jones
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net