logwatch?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 22 03:11:04 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 09:37 -0500, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> When logwatch reports that a host probed the server, what information
> does it use to determine that?  I tried to grep for the IP address
> that did the probing in /var/log/* and came up empty handed.

I've only seen that when the webserver has been accessed by a non-LAN
address.  I haven't looked into what it considers to be an external
address, I presume it's using the netmask.

e.g. If a server's at 192.168.1.6 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, then
anything from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 is on the LAN, anything else
is considered external.

Do you run a webserver?  Is it accessible externally?  Do you want it to
be?

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.