FC6 installation problem
magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Jan 22 17:20:09 UTC 2007
I'm trying to install FC6 X86.64 on a new box with an Intel DG965SS
motherboard and Core 2 Duo Processor, and a 320GB Sata hard drive.
Although I've installed Fedora before it's always been on machines that
have already been running Windows which I've then set up for dual
booting Windows and Linux. This time everything is new and a didn't buy
another copy of Windows. (My long term goal is to eliminate Microsoft
from my personal and professional lives without falling for Apple's
Anyway, the FC6 installation hangs at a point near the beginning with a
screen to which I don't know how to respond. I realize this problem may
be too hardware-specific for this list. But any information you can
give me before I go back to the store would be very helpful. At the
store I need to get past the guy who sits up front to the techs working
in the back, and I know he's going to say "We don't install Linux" and
then try to sell me Vista unless I can convice him I won't be wasting
Here's what happens (and I have exactly the same problems using the FC6
(1) I get the opening splash screen and hit enter "to install/update in
(2) Several screens-worth of messages zip by, after which I have the
keyboard (but no mouse.)
(3) A screen to choose a language. I pick the default "English".
(4) A screen to choose the type of keyboard. I pick the default "us".
(5) A screen asking "What type of media contains the packages to be
installed? I pick the default "Local CDROM". (The other options are
hard drive, NFS image, FTP and HTTP.) All of these screens appear more
"primitive" than the ones I've seen before for making these selections
-- they don't have any of the usual Fedora graphics and instead feature
those big red & white square buttons that are on the screens for
checking the CDs.
(6) Here's the studiously uninformative screen where I'm stuck: "No
driver found. Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this
installation. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a
driver disk." I pick the default "Select driver". (The other option is
"Use a driver disk".
(7) A screen to "select the driver you wish to load". There's a long
list of them:
3ware 9000 Series Storage Controller (3w-9xxx)
3ware Storage Controller (sw-xxxx)
Acard ATP870U PCI scsi controller (atp870u)
... all the way down to:
nVidia nForce SATA Controllers (sata-nv)
I haven't tried them all, but whatever ones I select give the message
"Loading so-and-so driver" and then return me to the "Select driver"
(8) I have an "Intel Express Installer Driver CD" from the store that
says "Install this CD first". But I don't get any response when I try
to boot from it. The README file says that it's for use with Windows
(9) Back at (6) I select the option "Use driver disk" and try the
Intel-Windows driver CD anyway.
(10) A screen saying I have multiple devices which could serve as
sources for a driver disk and asking me to choose fd0 or sda. Selecting
either of these and loading the Intel CD gives the message "Failed to
mount driver disk".
What's going on here? Any insights I can use to work further here (or
to help me sound like I know what I'm talking about if I have to go back
to the store) would be most appreciated.
More information about the users