OCD programmers and backwards compatibility :-).

Alan alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jan 22 22:55:11 UTC 2007

> "Linux in general" would be better off if programs didn't have to know
> about a
> special layout just for Linux..  Remember, most of the apps we user
> aren't written
> specifically  for Linux and calling your layout LSB sounds about as
> likely as
> calling your character set ASCII in terms of getting any kind of  universal
> agreement.  Why not try to make things the same across the *bsd's, Solaris,
> OSX, etc. too, if you are going to have to deal with the problems of changes
> anyway?

Perhaps you should read up on the FHS work a bit more before commenting.
It draws upon the basic work done in SunOS in particular for making NFS
work well, and traditional Unix layout, as well as 4BSD, SVID and other
related material. It's also followed pretty closely by a lot more than
Linux, and the lack of a "Linux" in the title of the standard is
intentional.

Alan