Firefox locks sound

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Tue Jan 23 03:12:34 UTC 2007

I'm having a problem with my sound every time I use Firefox. From what
I'm able to gather, Firefox is locking my sound device somehow and will
play most of the time while the rest of my system is unable to make a
sound. Sometimes Firefox won't even play sound though when its been
loaded (like when I just tried to watch the "300" trailer at WB). I've
found that it is guaranteed not to work after I resume my computer from
a standby while Firefox is still running. To get it working again, I
need to shut down Firefox, start up the sound card detection program,
mess with the volume a little bit, and then play the test sound. Most of
the time this gives me working sound again until another standby, but as
I mentioned above, I'm having problems at a particular site not playing
at all.

I'm attaching the scs*.log files that the sound card detection program
generates. If you need more output from something, I'll try my best to
get anyone what they need.

Thanks,
Justin W