nvidia drivers worth installing?

Mark Fraser fedora at mfraz.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 20:13:36 UTC 2007

In article <loom.20070123T005722-276 at post.gmane.org>,
   Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman <netllama <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Installing the driver is simple.  See:
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

> That's very bad advice! If you're going to install binary drivers at all
> (they're known to cause stability and security problems, and they're
> probably illegal because they link non-GPL code to the GPL kernel), at
> least install a properly-packaged one so you don't get a big mess each
> time you update the kernel and/or X.Org X11. That's what
> http://rpm.livna.org is for.

> See: http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video/

I tried the yum (pirut) way when I first installed FC6, but that wouldn't
work saying that the package was already installed when it wasn't. So, I
decided to try the Nvidia driver from their site which I eventually got
working, only problem is that everytime the kernel or X.Org X11 changes I
have to recompile it.

If I was to try the official way again what is the best way of getting rid
of the other driver - the site above doesn't mention a method.

|\  /| ark Fraser /mfraz2002 at hotmail.com