ssh tunneling and "channel 2: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed"

Rick Sewill rsewill at cableone.net
Tue Jan 23 21:53:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 21:34 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 23/01/07, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Mike - this is what I did already except replace "vnc" with
> "ssh" and "5900" with "22" in your description. It relies upon machine
> B allowing TCPforwarding, which seems not to be the case for my local
> setup. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
>
> Jonathan

I scanned the Internet.  Indications were administratively prohibited
either meant "AllowTCPForwarding" was no in the sshd_config file on
machine B or the target machine (machine C) was not being found.

It would surprise me if one cannot do ssh -N -L 8080:C:22 B
but perhaps the name, C, is not being resolved to an IP address.

Could you try the actual IP address for machine C in the command?

Otherwise, I fear the problem is AllowTCPForwarding on machine B.

Rick Sewill            tel:+1-218-287-1075 mailto:rsewill at cableone.net
1028 7th St. N.                               mailto:rsewill at gmail.com
Moorhead, MN 56560-1568      ymsgr:rsewill   sip:628497 at fwd.pulver.com
U. S. A.               tel:+1-701-866-0266     xmpp:rsewill at jabber.org