nvidia drivers worth installing?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 24 17:41:43 UTC 2007

Mark Fraser wrote:
> In article <loom.20070123T005722-276 at post.gmane.org>,
>    Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Lonni J Friedman <netllama <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>> Installing the driver is simple.  See:
>>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
>
>> That's very bad advice! If you're going to install binary drivers at all
>> (they're known to cause stability and security problems, and they're
>> probably illegal because they link non-GPL code to the GPL kernel), at
>> least install a properly-packaged one so you don't get a big mess each
>> time you update the kernel and/or X.Org X11. That's what
>> http://rpm.livna.org is for.
>
>> See: http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video/
>
> I tried the yum (pirut) way when I first installed FC6, but that wouldn't
> work saying that the package was already installed when it wasn't. So, I
> decided to try the Nvidia driver from their site which I eventually got
> working, only problem is that everytime the kernel or X.Org X11 changes I
> have to recompile it.
>
> If I was to try the official way again what is the best way of getting rid
> of the other driver - the site above doesn't mention a method.

The nVidia RPM issue is frustrating.  I have had to remove the current
driver to update to the new driver when a new kernel came out on my FC4
machines.

Procedure was install new kernel, remove nVidia drivers reboot, install
new nVidia drivers, reboot.

I just tried the yum-utils and find that I could possibly download and
install the drivers using this so I will have to play.

It should be possible to install the new drivers along with the new kernel.
--
Robin Laing