Way to make distant servers to appear to have the same data ?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 24 21:04:24 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>> What is the most effective, most robust way to allow servers that are
>> quite distant, and on slow networks "appear" to have the same content ?
>>
>> In my example, the content is read/write at 4 sites. Hopefully the
>> system should make caching possible for files that were originally at
>> another site. If a file were not already cached, then it would get
>> loaded across the slow network.

> In the olden days, we used to require users to 'promote' content from a
> staging server to a production server.  The act of 'promotion' included
> an rsync to the remote servers, and then a 'roll out' of that content at
> the same moment on all servers once all had acknowledged receipt of the
> promotion.  It was all automated and not hard to do.
>
> Steps:
>
> rsync staging/content primary::staging/content
>
> wait for completions
>
> on all servers at once:
>
> mv content content.$$ ; mv staging/content content
>
> roll back was easy
>
> mv content.NNNNN content
>
> I have been out of that game for a few years, but it was easy enough then.
>
> Now days you have much more dynamic content, more middle ware, broader
> use of server based cookies, etc.
>
> It can be difficult to insure that all of that data is preserved across
> remote servers.
>
> But for fairly static content, the old way should work just fine.
So, with this method, would you keep multiple versions of the "content"
? For a large amount of data, this would seem to require very large disk
space.

Or would you promote each small folder etc individually ?

Can the system automate this, or does a user need to run some script to
activate it ? How would you instigate the script if using winXP only
clients connecting via samba ?

DaveT.