How can one install Fedora without a DVD or CDROM available from iso images? (grub entry?)

Mail List lists at sapience.com
Thu Jan 25 04:34:47 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 21:19, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

> >   How to install FC6 without cdrom?  my cdrom is no longer
> Not too long ago someone posted a response to a way you could mount the
> dvd image and extract the installation kernel as a choice within grub.
> You put the vmlinuz and initrd.img from the install media and add an
> entry in grub to boot the installation.

  Copied from article on  headless installs - assuming you have linux working
you can boot from grub as follows.

 Essentially, you boot the install via grub by copying the kernel from cd or
dvd -  for example:

[loop mount DVD or 1st CD like so]
mkdir /mnt/tmp
# mount -o loop /mnt/Name/linux/redhat/fc6/FC-6-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/tmp

[create a /boot/fc6 and copy what we  need]

# mkdir /boot/fc6
# cd /boot/fc6
# cp /mnt/tmp/isolinux/vmlinuz fc6 .
# cp /mnt/tmp/isolinux/initrd.img fc6 .
# umount /mnt/tmp

 Now create a grub install entry such this
[copy the root xxx from your working current linux]

title Fedora Core 6 Install
        root xxx-fixme
        kernel /boot/fc6/vmlinuz
        initrd /boot/fc6/initrd.img

 Then you can install from you hard disk (dvd or isos need to be in their own
partition (not root), or via nfs, or http or ftp.

good luck.

gene/