Firefox locks sound

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Thu Jan 25 04:43:49 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>> Just a note to say that you're not alone.  I have also had sites that
>>> use sound (whether it be part of Flash, or some background racket), make
>>> it impossible to play sounds with other applications until you quit
>>> Firefox.
>>>

> Mark Knoop:
>
>> It is unlikely that Firefox is the culprit, more likely that a plugin
>> is to blame.
>>

> Good point, unless it's Firefox keeping a plug-in active when it
> shouldn't.  But I think you're right, it's probably more likely that the
> plug-in is hogging the sound system to itself.
>

>> The old version of Flash did not use alsa and did tend to hang on to
>> the sound device. Have you installed the new version 9.0.31? What
>> other plugins are you using?

I'm using the 9.0.31 release of the plugin, so the problem (if it's the
same one) still exists here. Also, I thought sound always worked for
firefox and quit for the rest of my apps, but I'm being proven wrong as
now I can get my system sound working again with the trick I described
earlier, but now I can't get firefox to make any sounds. Argh!!