Slow SSH between linboxen

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 08:24:29 UTC 2007

On 25/01/07, bill perkins <perk at iag.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I've got a Fedora 6 box and a Kubuntu box here. The machines have a
> > Level1 router connecting both of them to the WAN (internet). On the
> > Kubuntu box I SSH into the Fedora box and transfer files in Konqueror.
> > However, it is unusually slow: no more than 500 kb/s. What can I
> > diagnos?
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/395/papa_roach.html
> > http://technology-sleuth.com/question/why_are_internet_greeting_cards_dangerous.html
> >

> Are both machines on the same subnet? i.e. 192.168.0/24?
> You could try connecting a crossover cable between the two systems,
> skipping the router, and see what, if any, performance gains you get.

Yes, they are on the same subnet. As one of the machines is a laptop
and therefore cannot have another nic added, connecting them directly
would drag other problems with it (no net connectivity). But I might
do that as a test.

Thanks. Anybody have any other ideas, about what I could check? Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/java.html
http://dotancohen.com/howto/firefox_password_manager.php