generic HW question about SATA

Mark Knoop mpknoop at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 13:58:49 UTC 2007

On 26/01/07, mindwave at cfl.rr.com <mindwave at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>

> I'm upgrading my main linux box this weekend. I have about a TB worth of
> HD's to use, all ATA.
>

> I know that the new standard is SATA, and i actually have ONE SATA drive
> that I could use if I wanted to (its in a USB box right now).
>
> But never having used SATA, can ATA and SATA be used in the same PC?
>

> For examplecan I have all 4 ATA channels full (3 HD's and a DVDRW) and then
> activate the SATA channels in BIOS and throw this single drive on the back
> end as well?

It entirely depends on your motherboard - linux will handle whatever
it sees. I have 2 SATA hard drives, a SATA DVDRW and an IDE HD running
with no problems.

Look up your motherboard specs to check on its capabilities - although
one would think that if you can plug it in, then the board should be
able to address it.

--
Mark Knoop