Too much hard drives failing

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 26 16:57:27 UTC 2007

Alan wrote:
>> We have recently added 20 servers to our little farm, 7 of which were
>> having hard failuers on disks (SATA, Seagate, good brand new SuperMicro
>> boxes)
>>
>> The fact is that this failures are coming up right after we decided to
>> move to reiserfs.
>>
>> Can 7 out of 20 hard drives be defective (yes, of course, but what is
>> the % probability for this)?
>> Can this anyhow be related with reiserfs?
>>

> You need to provide the actual error messages you got when the drive
> played up, and preferably the smart data. Without that it is guesswork.
>
> However multiple failures does happen, it can be environmental, could be
> a bad batch of disks, could be the box of disks that the courier dropped
> etc
>
> Alan

Pablo,

Check the serial numbers of the failing drives.  If they are close than
maybe it was a bad batch or as Alan stated mishandled somewhere along
the line.  Seagate probably has a utility to analyze the drive and
probably would require you to run it prior to getting a RMA.  Western
Digital does.

Bob...