question about yum install dependency conflict

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jan 26 20:23:15 UTC 2007

Fei Liu wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Fei Liu wrote:

>>> Jim, thanks for the link. Unfortunately dcom is used as a license
>>> agent on my linux box for a commercial software. I am afraid I cannot
>>> just uninstall dcom. I am looking for a way to ask yum just to
>>> install wine ignoring the conflict, because I can just turn off the
>>> dcom service (stop the dcop daemon) when I use wine, vice versa.
>>>
>>> Fei
>>>

>> That makes it a bit tough to overcome. There are several bad ways to
>> get wine to install regardless of the conflict. They are sort of bad
>> ways.
>>
>> One way is to remove the database entry for dcom and dcom-devel so yum
>> does not know of it existing and does not consider the conflict. Yum
>> then will be happy to install wine and its other components. dcom will
>> still be present, it will just not be regarded as being present. The
>> option to remove just the database entry is 'rpm -e --justdb dcom
>> dcom-license'
>>
>> The only other better option would be to find another version of wine
>> or dcom that both agree would not clash with each other. I could not
>> give any more suggestions since I use neither program that much. I did
>> play a bit with wine for curiosity but no serious usage.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> I used rpm -e --justdb --nodeps dcom and wine install is successful. I
> got ie6 up and running. Thank for your help. Finally I don't have to
> start vmware just to use IE...
>
> Fei

I'm glad that it worked for you. If you ever have to remove dcom, you
might be able to install just the db entry so you can have rpm remove
all of the dcom package. I never tried this method but it should work if
you have the original rpm.
(rpm -i --justdb program-name<version><arch>.rpm)

The versatility of some programs to bypass some items comes in handy,
though it sometimes leads to bad practices, such as removing an rpm from
site of the db for rpm and yum.

Jim

--
Q: How do you make Windows run faster?