Kmail offline

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 27 20:14:40 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 10:51, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 26 January 2007 18:47, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>>Why can't you?  Are you specifying a different displaynumber?
>>
>> It claims the server is already in use.
>
>So you'll need to specify a displaynumber.  startx -- :1 might do the
>trick.  If not, an actual error message would be the only way to help
>you.

It did the trick, and now there are two x sessions running.  One as root
as always, and one as gene.  And amazingly, on this kernel anyway
(2.6.20-rc4) with selinux disabled, both kino and tvtime work just fine
as gene.  As does the gimp, including the hand built gutenprint-5.1.0
stuff I just installed as root.  I made the rpms with
checkinstall -R --inspect, what a PITA that is, but it works if you edit
the filelist correctly.

[...]

>I don't really understand what your point is here.  Of course running
>sytem-config-display will require the root password and will write the
>xorg.conf file in /etc/X11.  That's the only xorg.conf the system will
>use, you don't make a per-user config.

I was under the impression it did use individual user prefs.

>>>1GB of memory is more than enough to run two X sessions comfortably.
>>>You can even configure GDM to start two login windows.  Or use the
>>>gdmflexiserver to launch a new login from withing your current login
>>>session.
>>
>> 'twould be nice if I could figure it out.
>
>In Gnome you just have to edit the menus (via a right click on the
>main menu) and enable the "New Login" entry under System Tools.  You
>could also just run gdmflexiserver from the command line.

I never did find that, apparently because it defaulted to kde.  But the
only email agent offered in that environment is evolution, its an icon on
the bottom bar, and that fails, no such file or program.

Now, this could work, but I know from nothing about evolution even if it
did work, so where do I change it to kmail, and then how do I import the
corpus of 500megs of old mail from /root/Mail?

Alternatively, what happened to evolution?  procmail is already delivering
the incoming mail that gets past it to /var/spool/mail/gene, with a root
session of kmail pulling from there, so that conversion should be
painless.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)