Serial camera + RS232 > USB adapter

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sun Jan 28 01:27:26 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 22:49 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
>
>> Plugged it into a serial-USB adaptor and.... nothing happened. Looked
>> in /dev. The device appears as ttyUSB0.  Digikam only allows you to
>> select /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS3 I think it was.
>>

> Just wondering if you could symlink from a ttyS to a ttyUSB...

If you use a symlink I'd suggest you create a file called
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and put something similar to the
following in it:
BUS=="usb",KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK+="ttyS0", GROUP="uucp"

my only concern is /dev/ttyS0 through /dev/ttyS3 are generally the
serial ports on the machine.  Of course they may not exist so you might
just want to delete them first.

Jeff