calendar command missing

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Sun Jan 28 15:20:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:33:09PM -0600, Scott Evans wrote:

>>  I just finished getting back into having a home box running Linux, and I've
>>  installed Fedora 5, since that's the version that the guide book I have
>>  came with.  Anyway, I was migrating over some data from another (non-Linux)
>>  system, and I'm shocked to find that the "calendar" command is missing from
>>  my Linux installation.  It's present on the solaris, aix, and the Tru64
>>  unix boxes I've just checked, but can't find it anywhere on my Linux
>>  install.
>>
>>  Am I missing something with my FC5 install, is this a known thing, or is
>>  there some other command I'm missing that has the same functionality (reads
>>  a calendar file in the user's home dir and spits out events that are for
>>  that day or the next day).

Ah, a fellow devotee of "calendar" ....   Glad to know I'm not alone!

I also like this program and was dismayed when it disappeared from
the Red Hat / Fedora Core distributions -- I'm not sure, but it may
have been gone as early as Red Hat 9.  And's not as if Googling for
"calendar" is much use, either.  ("/usr/bin/calendar" as a search
term is somewhat more useful, in my experience, but still not a
sure thing.)

I was able to install it on an FC4 system from an RPM for package
calendar-8.4.3.  I seem to remember that I found the RPM in some
non-standard place, but I don't remember details, and I'm not
finding it right away with calendar-8.4.3 as a search term either.

If no on else suggests anything useful, I'll search further.  I'm
planning to "upgrade" that FC4 system in the near future, so I'll
need to know too.

-- blm