calendar command missing

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 17:42:34 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 07:55 -0600, Scott Evans wrote:
>>>         Are you by chance thinking of cal? (it prints out a calendar for the
>>> current or specified month and year). it should be in your /usr/bin
>>> directory and is provided by d year). It is provided by the util-linux
>>> package.
>>>
>>> Scott(2)
>> No, I do have cal, but calendar is a separate command, that reads a
>> calendar file in the user's home directory and spits out any dates it finds
>> in the file as events of the day.  So if I had calendar file that had a
>> line like:
>>
>> Meeting on 1/28/2007 at Joe's house,
>>
>> when invoked, the calendar command would spit the line back out on 1/27 and
>> 1/28, as calendar events for "tomorrow" (when invoked on 1/27) and "today"
>> (when invoked on 1/28).
>>
> This may not be a good solution but your calandar fuction is part of the
> evolution mail program as it is part of Outlook under Windows.

There's even a tie-in to the Gnome menu-bar date display so that alarm
popups happen even if evolution isn't open.  I'm not sure how reliable
it is now.  I used it for a while with the exchange connector, but quit
some time ago when the connector broke in an update.   Evolution has its
own calendar but I needed access to the group calendar on an exchange
server and set something else up.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com