samba, why can't users delete/rename files

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Jan 28 21:26:36 UTC 2007

On Sunday 28 January 2007 22:12, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 08:45pm on Sunday, January 28, 2007 (UK time), Marcel Janssen
scrawled:
> > I set up a samba server and although users can read and write to the
> > shares, they can not rename or delete files.
>
> Can you post the extract from the samba config file for the share.

Meanhile I set it to this, but it still doesn't work :

[data]
       comment = data
       path = /data
        valid users = @company
        force group = company
        read only = No
        browseable = Yes
        public = yes
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0770
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mask = 2770
        force directory mode = 2770
        inherit permissions = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

Also it seems the create mask has no effect. Files are created as 755.

Regards,
Marcel