There has gotta be an easy answer - binding commands to keys ??

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Mon Jan 29 12:21:29 UTC 2007

Around about 26/01/07 21:39, William Case typed ...
> 1) Through MetaCity or any other GTK mechanism, create a command that is
> equivalent to <Ctrl><Shift>U2714 and then bind that command to Super_L +
> y.

   You may want to investigate xmodmap;  I'm not sure there's a way to
specify any old unicode char (I think I've seen one) but if you create a
~/.xmodmaprc with something like (this is from mine, defining <AltGr+'> to
give the nicer ’ char):

keycode 0x30 =  apostrophe at  rightsinglequotemark dead_circumflex
rightsinglequotemark dead_circumflex

   All the keys by default have an AltGr ('ISO Shift Level 3') mapping, Y's
is '←' (¥ with <Shift> as well).  Pick one you don't fancy using any more,
and change its mapping.  The full list of codes currently on a key can be
shown with xkeycaps (which is really showing its age now;  any alternatives
anyone?) but I wouldn't recommend making it save a full xmodmaprc (unless
you then edit out all but the one you want).

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature