"isolinux: disk error 04" while trying to install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 17:53:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 10:24 +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Namaskar Rakhesh! I would betcha that since it's a Compac it just might
> > have the ole virus protection turned on in the bios or something very
> > similar to that. Has the drive access got a password?  If so, remove it.
> > Anything set up to thwart hackers needs to be off as YOU are now hacking
> > the machine by trying to install Linux ... which is a very popular virus
> > nowadays, according to M$. BTW, my Yoga name is Rakesh, without the "H",
> > is that correctly spelled? Ric (Rakesh) Now everyone knows! :)
>
> Namaskar Ric (Rakesh)!
>
> Well, Rakesh is the correct spelling to the name actually. My parents
> -- for reasons unknown to them too (heh!) -- decided to put an extra
> "h" in my name. To give it a bit more emphasis while pronouncing. Not
> that any one ever does (and my name would sound weird if pronounced
> with more emphasis), and so my name is actually pronounced Rakesh but
> spelt Rakhesh.

Ha! We are Brothers then... my parents added the "E" to Rickey to make
it more of a "proper" name, as opposed to the nickname that is spelled
"Ricky". Plus, maybe there are too many Rakesh's for safeties sake, so
they added the "H" to keep you from being mistaken with one of them.
(like me!) :)

> Rakesh means sun in Hindi. You probably know that, I just thought I'd
> mention. Similar to Ra in Egyptian. Rakesh is probably a hangover from
> some Egyptian-Indian connection. :)

the 'esh' means beloved? I've studied under Ananda Marga society for the
last 3 years or so.  The only problem is the onions, garlic and meat
bans for level 3. That's BBQ! <eeks> When I lose my teeth, I'll go
there. <smiles>

> I'll check (once I get back home) whether virus protection is turned
> on and whether that's what's causing any problems. I don't have any
> passwords for drive access -- am sure of that -- so that can't be a
> problem.
>
> Am wondering though: even if it were virus protection or something how
> come other Linuces like MEPIS or PCLinuxOS or openSUSE install fine?
> Do they all not use isolinux for the first boot?

The system install would find that it doesn't have write permission to
the boot track and looks like a virus to the bios, when the virus
protections are set to "on". That was a common problem since 1999. If
the bios protections are set to "on" I can't imagine anything
installing. I don't recall you mentioning that other Linux's had been
installed before. No prob, I have oldtimers.

Make sure the CD medium is clean, no coffee stains or massive dust on
it. Might be a huge finger print there. Googling one guy reported "My
own "solution" to the problem was burning a new cd. I guess there was a
scratch on the disc." Could happen and does.

Oh yeah, in the 'old days' to remove a Win partition you had to use
fdisk to wipe off the Win protections to the boot track as well, but you
have installed another distro to the machine and it worked?

Another guy reported that replacing the CD drive fixed it, while another
reported flash upgrading his bios did the trick. I call this trouble
shooting with a shotgun. If I throw enough caca at the wall,something is
bound to stick.

Here's a pretty thorough link that I found through googling:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2004-May/003507.html

Hope something here helps. In the end, it just could be a bad CD burn.
Namaskar, Ric (Rakesh)

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net