digikam usage

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 21:32:53 UTC 2007

Greetings;

I have always treated my Olympus C3020z as a usb storage device, mounting
it as /mnt/camera or in the case if FC6, /media/camera, from whereever it
showed up in the logs when I plugged it in and turned it on.  Lately its
been a race to get the pix out of it before the thing did an auto-off
because if you don't clean the battery contacts in the camera, and the
batteries aren't above 1.48 volts, it won't live long enough to go
through all the rigmarole it takes to get it mounted & copy the pix back
out of it, keeping in mind it has the infamous vfat bug that causes all
images beyond the current sector of the directory structure to disappear
if all the files in that sector have been deleted.

Anyway, I just screwed around with digikam this afternoon after seeing
some glowing reports about it, long enough to kill two sets of AA cells,
without getting digikam to actually access the camera, or display the
thumbnails of the images already in the directory I had it pointed to.

I wound up using mc as usual, to move the images to my hard drive, in
reverse order of course.

If digikam is so great, why does everything stay ghosted out regardless of
what I do?  The menu's apparently assume everything is preconfigured I
guess, but they are not exactly intuitive, and no errors are ever
reported ANAICT.  Like when I selected my camera make & model from the
list, and the usb dot is checked, does it report it can't scan '/', which
isn't the path to the camera.  And when I select "mounted camera" and
verify by other means its mounted and visible, it still can't find it.

So please, someone who is familiar with it, whats step one, which is to
get it to see the 3GB of pictures in jpeg format that are already stored
there in the path I give for the so called "album"?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)