associating extensions with applications

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 31 17:35:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 07:36 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Does Linux, or more specifically the Gnome desktop, have a widget like
> the one in Windows that associates file extensions with applications so
> that, for example, when I double-click on a ".txt" file it opens in my
> favorite text editor?  Do file extensions have any significance in
> Linux?  Thanks for the help! -- Jerry

Yes they do. For example if I look at my hoem directory in nautilus and
I right click on a .doc file I am asked:
Open with Open Office.org Writer
or: Open with another application.

That was we can associate an extension with an application.

To change this association highlight an icon. Then Choose the properties
under File option. One of the Properties is Open with.
All that glitters is not gold; all that wander are not lost.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net