Upgrading from 6 to 7

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 2 02:13:26 UTC 2007

George Hare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just read where someone upgraded from Fedora6 to Fedora7. Is this
> still a big risk with the
> dependency issues. I have most things fairly stable and the way I like
> them. From alot of
> opinions that I have read over the past couple of weeks here, it sounds
> like I might as well just
> stay with 6. I'm starting to get figure-it-out-burn-out. Any Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> George Hare

I have everything up to F7 or development. F7 seems better than FC6 was
but I have nothing left to compare F7 to FC6.

- No problems at all with a fresh install on a laptop.
- A lot of missing programs from an FC6 install which were not available
on the F7 DVD hampered things on an upgrade. mc, k3b and a few other
programs were no on the DVD and needed grabbed from the "Everything"
repositories to get these programs updated. (Not an installation that
has direct network access)
- For an FC6 installation on a drive setup earlier, I lost that install
version due to the protected area being honored now for partitions. It
is now my development version. Everything is default and I didn't want
to bother with setting up everything on a new install from scratch, thus
it is development. No problems with development as of yet, though I
update about once a month when problems are low.
- For the development version, it is now F7 as far as repos and packages
unless there were regressions for F7 during test. It worked so well that
I decided not to keep running it development.

So depending on what you install, when your disk partitions were setup,
if you use device names instead of LABEL= you may or may not have issues
with upgrades. They are possible though fresh installs work bu are
vacant from some favorite packages which used to be part of core before
the merge.

Emailing from the development version if that helps you decide if F7 is
worth the upgrade. (Newer and more experimental version)

Jim