Well it is a what?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jul 3 01:36:19 UTC 2007

    I was curious to know what NetworkManager really is. So went hunting
and found:

NM-TOOL(1)
NM-TOOL(1)

nm-tool - utility to report NetworkManager state

SYNOPSIS
       nm-tool

DESCRIPTION
       The  nm-tool utility provides information about NetworkManager,
device,
       and wireless networks.

SEE ALSO
       NetworkManager(1), NetworkManagerDispatcher(1)

So then the real one:

NETWORKMANAGER(1)
NETWORKMANAGER(1)

NAME
       NetworkManager - network management daemon

SYNOPSIS
       NetworkManager [--no-daemon] [--enable-test-devices]

DESCRIPTION
       The NetworkManager daemon attempts to keep an active network
connection
       available at all times.  The point of NetworkManager is  to
make  net-
       working  configuration and setup as painless and automatic as
possible.
       If using DHCP, NetworkManager is intended to  replace  default
routes,
       obtain IP addresses from a DHCP server, and change nameservers
whenever
       it sees fit, with the aim of making networking Just Work.

OPTIONS
       The following options are supported:

       --no-daemon
              Do not daemonize.  This is useful for debugging.

       --enable-test-devices
:

This is NetManagerDispacher

NETWORKMANAGERDISPATCHER(1)
NETWORKMANAGERDISPATCHER(1)

NAME
       NetworkManagerDispatcher  -  daemon  that  runs commands in
response to
       off/online

SYNOPSIS
       NetworkManagerDispatcher [--no-daemon]

DESCRIPTION
       The NetworkManagerDispatcher daemon runs commands in the
/etc/Network-
       Manager/dispatcher.d  directory in response to interfaces coming
up and
       down.  The scripts are run alphabetically.  The first parameter
is  the
       network interface name.  The second parameter is up if the
interface is
       now up and down if the interface is now down.

OPTIONS
       The following options are supported:

       --no-daemon
              Do not daemonize.  This is useful for debugging.
FILES
       /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d

SEE ALSO
       NetworkManager(1), nm-tool(1)

NETWORKMANAGERDISPATCHER(1)
(END)

    So NetManager is a demon and runs in the kernel and tries to keep
the Internet coming always and works outside the normal old methods.

    Now the NetManagerDispatcher is another mouth-full that is also a
demon and you can read what it is doing by monitoring messages in the
/etc/NetworkManager/dispature.d/ directory. I jus looked and My F7 has
the NetworkManager/ but no dispature.d directory. Could be you need to
run the demons awhile to get it.

    In summary all this is now terminal activity so I think all this
stuff is VERY Beta!

Karl