How to partition an unpartitioned space!!!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jul 5 11:45:58 UTC 2007

Matthew Hoggan wrote:

> I now have win 2k and fedora 7 installed on the same hard drive.
> However, I have run into a few issues that I am looking for answers.
>
> 1) fdisk –l is not working

Try just # fdisk and it shows you the form to use. If you have just one
hard drive it will be #fdisk /dev/sda and it will let you do your thing.

> 2) is it bad that I did not set up a swap, and if so is there a way I
> can set it up in Linux after installation

Sure use fdisk and mkswap.

> 3) I have 150 gigs of un-partitioned space on my hard drive how do I
> partition it in Fedora so I can write to it from both linux and win2k
> if that is even possible

Again you can make a partition and call it a FAT32 partition for
example. There is a laundry list of file types available in fdisk.

> with-out running fdisk my current set up is
>
> /dev/sda1 win2k MBR 7 gigs
>
> /dev/sda2 linux / Mount point root file system 15 gigs

Should be easy.

Karl