How can i make a wireless connection in the command line?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Thu Jul 5 14:49:13 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 16:41:33 Mark wrote:
> Hey,
>
> i've just spens serveral hours finding out how i can make a wireless
> connection but nothing seems to be working.
> i tried this
> MANUAL:http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi&n=HOWTO-iwlwifi than
> starting from:  "Verify that you can scan and see access
> points:". where it's going wrong is the key.. [1] is not working for
> me.. i need to do s:theascikey and the last issue is that dhclient
> doesn't want to give me an ip. it's attempting it a few times and than
> it simply fails.
>
> some information you might need:
>
> My wlan adapter is:
> Intel 3945AGB
>
> Kernel version:
> 2.6.22 RC 7
>
> Operating system:
> Fedora 7
>
> Desktop/Laptop:
> Acer Aspire 5630 Notebook
>
> Now the issue is not that i can't make a wireless connection.. i can
> but just once every boot. I can make a wireless connection with
> knetworkmanager BUT when that connection is lost than i need to reboot
> to get connection again. is there a quicker solution for that?
> (killall knetworkmanager and restart that won't help)
>
> Another issue (with losing the connection) is that when my connection
> strength is getting below 40/100 than the connection seems to be
> lost... is there any way to put that on 10 or 20?
>
> Now the real issue is that i'm not able to make a wireless network
> connection with the command line. so my question is: how do i need to
> make a wireless connection from the begin till the end?
>
> When this is answered i will make a howto for it on the fedora forum.
>
> Thanx,
> Mark

You might need to change the ifcfg-ethX
with something like:

DEVICE=eth0
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.5

Then
Your /etc/sysconfig/network file would be:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=foo
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

Hope this helps