Connecting an extra computer to Internet

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Jul 5 23:26:56 UTC 2007

Hi Paul;

But as the Original Poster, of this simple question, I think you deserve
a simple answer.  You can learn all about cables, switches and routers
later.

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 16:27 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a cable-based (not optic) modem/router to connect to the
> Internet (ADSL), which works fine. However, a friend comes in from
> time to time, bringing her laptop. Is there some cheap and easy way of
> letting her laptop to connect to Internet? Unfortunately, I cannot see
> any place in the modem/router to connect an extra cable...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

I have a Motorola Cable modem supplied to me by my cable company.  One
end is connected to a fork or splitter on the incoming cable.  Next I
have a cheap AOpen router ($20 - $25 US or CAD$) which can take four
computer installations connected by a RJ45 line.  By luck this house was
purchased with lines from every room.  That means the router can handle
anything up to 100 feet away.  Buy as long a RJ45 line as you think you
will need.

At the risk of sounding like an old song.  The incoming TV cable is
connected to the splitter and the splitter is connected to the cable
modem.  The cable modem is connected to the cheap router; and, the cheap
router is connected to the first or permanent computer: and the cheap
router is then connected to the guest computer; and all works fine.

--
Regards Bill